Share your talents and gifts with Village Hospice.
It feels good to give of yourself. And when you volunteer through Village Hospice, what you receive in return will be gratitude and grace. Abundant gratitude from the people you assist, and amazing grace from all you’ll learn by giving of yourself. Learn more about what Village Hospice volunteers can do, by reading the Frequently Asked Questions at the bottom of this page.
Learn about volunteering for Village Hospice.
These FAQs should help give you a better understanding of the many ways that Village Hospice volunteers can lend a hand and make a difference in the lives of Village Hospice patients and family members.
Volunteers with Village Hospice make a difference in the lives of patients every day. Hospice patients may be receiving care in a private residence; within an independent, assisted living or skilled nursing community; or at Village House located in the Village Care Center at John Knox Village. By bringing comfort and support to patients and their families, volunteers describe their experience as rewarding and humbling. There are many ways for you to make a difference.
- Offering friendship and companionship through personal visits and phone calls
- Picking up groceries and prescriptions or running other personal errands
- Staying by a patient’s side to give faithful caregivers a needed break
- Holding hearts and hands, supporting patients and families in the final hours
- Staying in touch, supporting families through grief and loss
- Arranging and delivering flowers
- Creating quilts, crocheting or knitting warm hats or cozy blankets
- Playing music, singing a song, painting or drawing a picture-perfect memory
- Visiting with your friendly, well-loved pet
- Writing down stories and memories for generations to come
- Providing administrative assistance with filing and data entry
- Sharing your friendly voice by answering phones or reading aloud
- Lending a trained listening ear to patients and families
- Assisting with special events
- Complete the Volunteer Interest form
- Complete the interview process and screening
- Attend and complete the volunteer training requirement
- Commit to continued education, training and one year of service
- Bring a compassion for caring for others